Guns of Icarus Online (also known as Guns of Icarus Alliance) is a steampunk-themed multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed and published by American studio Muse Games. Captain a steampunk airship and fly with your friends in this thrilling MMO air combat game set in a post-apocalyptic world. Join a few of your friends to serve aboard an airship, or get a captain’s license and your own ship, crew it with your friends or some hired hands, and set sail for adventure as you brave danger-filled skies to deliver precious cargo and fight off air pirates and rival factions.
Three hundred years have passed since the Great War consumed the planet. Three hundred years since the human race ate hungrily of mother earth, squandering resources that could have carried them forward for millennia.
In the heat of the sun, there is an unsettling, inescapable truth: man has fallen from his throne.
Humanity now lives among the ruins left by a century of conflict, but from the wrecked steel of the past they will forge their own future. Lighter-than-air technology has inspired intrepid pioneers to take to the skies in search of trade and resources to support their towns and families. Enterprising craftsmen fashion elaborate machines out of scavenged scraps. The desperate and ruthless take what they can by force.
Despite all that was lost, a renewed passion for invention has emerged, along with a deep respect for the fragility of life. Explorers and philosophers travel in search of forgotten knowledge now scattered beneath the wastes.
The survivors are inventors, pilots, captains, craftsmen, adventurers, fighters, privateers, merchants, engineers, farmers and scholars. They herald a new age for humanity: an age of rebirth.
This game is contained in the three classes of Gunner, Engineer, and Captain. Each has a specific and vital role to fulfill, be it manning the guns, making repairs, or piloting the ship, and each player must respond on the fly to rapidly changing conditions. Gunners may abandon their guns to repair a vital component, or the Captain may ditch the wheel to add a little more firepower to a broadside sweep. On the small scale, the game is about the thrill of flying and moment-to-moment airship combat, with its strategy, skill, and frantic action, and the teamwork of a well-knit crew where everyone has a job to do. These experiences are the core of the PvP combat mode in the initial release.
Players can choose three different classes: gunner, engineer or pilot, which will allow them access to different kinds of tools. The captain of each ship chooses which weapons to use in his/her ship and chooses which ship will they use in the game. Here are some of available ships.
- Galleon ship – the biggest and more resilient ship, but also the slowest one. It focuses on high firepower and tank capabilities with high hull armor.
- Goldfish ship – has a main gun on its prow, and two secondary guns on the port and starboard sides. It relies on its moderate speed and high maneuverability.
- Junker ship – has high maneuverability, but a slow speed. Has 5 small weapons mounting.
- Squid ship – the fastest ship, allows its commander to outmaneuver enemy ships, but it is the least resilient ship and does not have access to a Heavy Weapon.
- Spire ship – has a very high turning speed, but a very low linear speed. It is a high dpsship with very low hull armor.
- Mobula ship – has great vertical movement, but is hard to repair in the heat of the battle. Also has 5 weapons in front.
- Pyramidion ship – this ship is very versatile. Has two guns on the top deck and two on the low deck. With very high damage output, but slow turning speed.
This game added several game modes to this game, a faction war gameplay system where players play matches to earn war effort so that their faction can take over or defend pieces of land on a map of the game world, and, at Alliance’s launch, it contained four joinable factions and four new playable ships. The four added new ships are
- Magnate ship – this decorated ship is slow-moving, but has three guns on each side; two light gun mountings and one heavy, allowing for the Magnate to have a high damage-per-second.
- Shrike ship – the second fastest ship after Squid. its hull is weak, and has only average turning speed. This ship has two heavy and light gun mounts on the port and starboard sides of the ship, making the Shrike preferable for “hit-and-run” tactics.
- Crusader ship – this ship is large and heavily armed, with two heavy guns on the front and two light guns on either side, allowing for a wide frontal attack range. It has good vertical speed, but low health and armor.
- Corsair ship – the largest ship and is heavily armoured and slightly faster than a Galleon, and has two heavy guns and light guns on each side, as well as a heavy gun on the front and light gun on the stern, allowing the Corsair to exhibit high damage within limited intervals due to its speed and amount of weapons.
And added another two ships after Alliance launch.
- Stormbreaker ship – A patchwork airship, this aircraft has extremely fast acceleration and decent speed, as well as fast turning. Its firepower is concentrated on the port side, with one heavy gun and three light guns lined along this side of the ship. It is nimble, but has low health and armor. This is the faction specific ship for the Arashi League.
- Judgement ship – this ship is versatile and has high armor, but indecent forward and turning speed, as well as low health. Its firepower is concentrated towards the front, with two heavy guns and three light guns.
Choose your ship from nimble chargers to powerful broadsiders, equip it with a deadly arsenal, and enter the fray. Blast enemies out of the sky with a salvo of rockets, lay traps with strategically placed air mines, destroy their engines with arcs of lightning, or cripple their balloon with a torrent of flames. All things that fly, must come crashing down.
Guns of Icarus Online is all about teamwork, tactics, and fast-paced action. With a good ship and the right crew, you can conquer the skies! The game is a real genre buster, on one side offering a downloadable game that brings a superb multiplayer experience and in the future offering an almost story like mode of adventure that you can then use to tie back into multiplayer style death match gameplay, meaning there should be a setup for this game that pleases fans of shooters, RPGS and more but like with most things, persistence pays off, and as your skills and knowledge grow, so does your enjoyment.